Wednesday, October 10, 2007

PROUST!

I'm pretty sure that's how you spell it...That’s cheers in German. Germany is AWESOME! I love Germany and I have to go back! Not this year but I will definetly return.

We arrived on Friday night and found our hostel, The Tent. My first experience at a youth hostel was great too. The Tent is a large camp ground where people can set up their own equipment outside or they can rent a bed. There is a huge tent set up with 150-200 bunk beds set up inside with lockers for your stuff. Outside there was a bonfire each night, some hammocks, picnic tables, and a café that served cheap beer. There were people from all over and I met some really cool people from Australia who were traveling in Europe then in the states for 18 months.

Saturday and Sunday morning we spent walking around Munich and at Oktoberfest. I had no idea what to expect from Oktoberfest and it was great! It’s basically a huge festival with rides, carnival games, delicious food vendors, gift stands and gigantic beer gardens and tents. Of course, everything is centered around beer and German culture. My favorite part, besides the beer ☺ were the people walking around in authentic german outfits. Everyone did it too: little boys and girls all the way up to people in their 70’s! It was great.

Another great thing about Germany is that people drink beer everywhere! On the trains, in the supermarkets, walking down the street…it doesn’t matter. I thought that was really cool. AND things are so much cheaper in Germany. God France is expensive. In France I can buy a pint of beer for 5.5 Euros and usually the beer is crap. In Germany I got a mug of beer, which is a liter, for 4 Euros. Everything is cheaper here and the sausage was delicious! At the Spaten beer tent on Sunday I ate a roasted half chicken and tried some potato salad. I have never tasted potato salad like that before. Ahh, I miss it already! I love love love love love Germany! The people are friendly, the food is great, and the beer is delicious.

We left Sunday afternoon, sadly, but I was glad to get back to a real bed in a heated room. Munich is a bit colder than the south of France.

Tomorrow I am heading out to England where I will be shown around by an authentic Englander. ☺ I can’t wait to try Tea with milk and hopefully I will get to try a crumpet as well! I’m going to check out Southampton, Bournemouth ? and we are spending a day doing the touristy London thing. I’ll tell the Queen you all said Hello.

Also I wanted to say Congratulations to Tree! I’m so glad to hear you won’t be outnumbered so badly anymore!

I love you all,
Dizzy

1 comment:

Where's The Asprin said...

Still living vicarioulsy...

Drinking tea now, except without milk and sadly no crumpets, but I do have chocolate nearby.

Thanks for the congrats. We have finally tipped the gender scale here, although there won't be anymore tipping after this one!

Take it easy and please have a beer or two for me. Proust!